Alamanicus

Subscribe to this list via RSS Blog posts tagged in architecture

Posted by on in Explore
The town of Neuenburg am Rhein sits on the banks of the Rhine in south west Germany, about half way between Freiburg and the Swiss city of Basel. With a population of less than 10,000, its small size today belies its historical significance as an important crossing point of the Rhine. Its strategic location on the river and as a border town was both boom and bust for the town. Once grand enough to support its own cathedral, the town's history is punctuated by disaster, both natural and man-made. Click any picture below to view larger versions ...
Hits: 3973
Rate this blog entry:
3

Posted by on in Explore
The Kurhaus is a venue located at the western end of the park, at the foot of the castle ruins in Badenweiler, a small town nestled in the western edge of the Black Forest in south west Germany. The foundation stone of the original Kurhaus was laid in 1851, and by 1853 the building was in use as a pump room and gathering place. That same year the building began to be used as a venue for concerts.       With increasing visitor numbers the demand for the thermal waters grew, and in 1863/4 the source was reviewed and the...
Hits: 3206
Rate this blog entry:
0
First mentioned as a fortified complex ("Burg") in 1125 and used as a chapel, Bürgeln was built by local land-owner Lord Werner von Kaltenbach, who subsequently donated all his possessions to the St. Blasien Benedictine monastery. Under monastic control, Bürgeln became the seat of the St. Blasien Provost, the religious representative and church tax collector for the local area, including the convent at Sitzenkirch and the nearby communities of Obereggenen and Marzell. Schloss Bürgeln Gallery During the peasant's revolt of 1525 the castle wa...
Hits: 6509
Rate this blog entry:
0

Posted by on in Müllheim Town Tour
Markgräfler Museum Müllheim im Blankenhornpalais (Markgräfler Museum in the Blankenhorn Townhouse) Built around 1800 in the early classical townhouse style, with architectural influences taken from neighbouring France, the Blankenhorn townhouse was initially the guesthouse "Zur Krone" (The Crown), run by the Blankenhorn family (a prominent Müllheim family - Adolf Blankenhorn was the first president of the German Winegrowers Association in 1874, his son was chief of the Baden police until removed in 1933 because of his opposition to the newly e...
Hits: 3151
Rate this blog entry:
0

Posted by on in Müllheim Town Tour
"Alte Schol" ehem. Schlachthaus (Old School and Former Slaughterhouse) First erected in 1824/5, this building was initially used as the municipal office, following the grant of a town charter to Müllheim by Karl Friedrich, Grand Duke of Baden, in 1810. The lower floor (which featured a trapdoor that opened out above the river, the more easily to wash away the waste) served as a slaughterhouse until 1912 (the neighbouring "Zur Alte Gerberei" building was the old tannery). In 1867, the upper floor of the old slaughterhouse was changed to educa...
Hits: 3009
Rate this blog entry:
0

Posted by on in Müllheim Town Tour
Frick-Mühle (Frick's Mill) First mentioned in 1392, the mill on the Klemmbach river was originally a manor farm belonging to the Lords of Baden. In 1690 it was taken over by Bartlin Frick and remained in the possession of the Frick family until the mill was decommissioned in 1910. At the end of the 18th century the property consisted of two sloping houses arranged together: the dwelling with mill-room and the servant's quarters with a pergola. Two mill wheels can be found on the right side of the building, past which the mill canal flowed. T...
Hits: 2971
Rate this blog entry:
0

Posted by on in Müllheim Town Tour
Dekanat (Deanery) The existing protestant parsonage (or rectory) and deanery is the third building to be erected on this site. After the reformation in 1556 (when the Margrave of Baden-Durlach established the protestant religion in his territories) the last catholic priest relinquished his private rectory. This first building was burnt down in 1633 during the Thirty Years' War. During the 1660's a new building was constructed what is now the parsonage garden. When this second building fell into disrepair the current house was erected in 1769...
Hits: 2885
Rate this blog entry:
0

Posted by on in Müllheim Town Tour
Wilhelmstraße 23 This large farm building was probably the 17th century ancestral home of the Blankenhorn family in Müllheim. In the middle of the 19th century the front of the building was redeveloped to present a uniform facade in the late classic urban style. Typical features include a segmental (i.e. does not form a semi-circle) arched gate, balconies above the doors with ornate metalwork bars, an attic level punctuated by ventillation hatches, and immediately below the roof-line the repetetive stone artwork of a tiered dentil cornice. T...
Hits: 2531
Rate this blog entry:
0

Posted by on in Müllheim Town Tour
Altes Rathaus (Old Town Hall) The old town hall was erected in 1867 on the site of an existing communal wine press. Until 1955 the new building was used as the municipal office in the "Old School", and then between 1980 and 2005 it was the tourist information office. The building displays an historic architecture influenced by the rounded arch style of the Karlsruhe architect Hübsch (Heinrich Hübsch, born 1795, died 1863). It's design echoes late gothic and renaissance examples in Florence, with a rounded arch frieze (just below the roof-line...
Hits: 2704
Rate this blog entry:
0

Posted by on in Müllheim Town Tour
Lindenhof Named after the Linden trees that stood here, Lindenhof was built in 1792 by Friedrich Fischer and his wife Catarina (nee Blankenhorn). It is the oldest building on the Werderstraße road that was itself laid down in 1826 by mayor Nikolaus Blankenhorn. The property is a typical Markgraefler farmhouse, with residential and farm buildings grouped on four sides around the yard, and a sandstone coloured facade with architectural motifs. Between 1978 and 2003 it was the home of the Müllheim wine co-operative and currently, since their me...
Hits: 2716
Rate this blog entry:
0

Posted by on in Müllheim Town Tour
Alte Sparkasse/Villa Kräuter In 1912 the Sparkasse bank, founded in 1838 and known as the "Savings Temple", moved its administrative offices here. The architect Hertel from Badenweiler designed the eye-catching facade to give the original building a monumental portico in neo-classical style. The symbolic, antique-like facade is inspired by the ionic columns of ancient Greece. In 1979 Leonhard Eder created the sculptures "The Little Pagans", based on the legend of the Rosenburg Relationship. Villa Kräuter (pronounced Kroyter) was built in 1897...
Hits: 2718
Rate this blog entry:
0

Posted by on in Müllheim Town Tour
Evangelische Stadtkirche (Protestant Parish Church) The Protestant church is a new gothic style building constructed out of red sandstone and inaugurated in 1881, taking over from St Martin's church which had until then served as the Protestant parish church. Typically for the 19th century, the church borrows from the middle ages architectural style, such as the pointed arches above the windows and main doorway and the ribbed vault in the nave and presbytery. Galleries can be found above the entire length of the side aisles, and above the ma...
Hits: 2696
Rate this blog entry:
0

Posted by on in Müllheim Town Tour
Hauptstraße 43 A walk down Hauptraße through lower Müllheim is a walk back in time, past many old houses and farm buildings that were built before Germany itself (pre-dating Bismarck's unification of Germany in 1871). A large, particularly well preserved historical farmstead from the early days of lower Müllheim, first built in 1746 (though with later additions) can be found at number 43. The property is a U-shaped complex of accommodation, "Buchhus", and double-winged farm buildings, accessed via an arched gate with separate pedestrian entr...
Hits: 2732
Rate this blog entry:
0

Trip Reports

Login With Facebook

 

 

Alamanicus

 

Follow us on foursquare

 

Alamanicus To Go

 

Photography

Alamanicus posts some of his favourite images to 500px

Autumnal Glow in Müllheim, by Alamanicus on 500px.com

Autumnal Glow in Müllheim by Alamanicus

Advertisement