Posted by on in Müllheim Town Tour
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Hits: 3900
  • Subscribe to this entry
  • Print
  • Report this post

Dekanat (Deanery)

The existing protestant parsonage (or rectory) and deanery is the third building to be erected on this site.

After the reformation in 1556 (when the Margrave of Baden-Durlach established the protestant religion in his territories) the last catholic priest relinquished his private rectory. This first building was burnt down in 1633 during the Thirty Years' War.

During the 1660's a new building was constructed what is now the parsonage garden. When this second building fell into disrepair the current house was erected in 1769, in the former kitchen garden in the street.

The harmoniously proportioned building features a 'hip roof' (where all roofs slope down to the walls) structure resting on a cellar pedestal, with a facade segmented by vertical pilasters (partiially protuding columns).

Next stop: opposite and a little up the hill is St Martins Church

Blog posted from View larger map
Rate this blog entry:
Alamanicus is wandering his old Alemanni haunts, revisiting the places where once he used to drink, carouse, and beat up the odd Roman legionnaire or two. Things have moved on since his day, and the old Alemanni country now lies across south west Germany, French Alsace, and northern Switzerland. Cut through by the mighty Rhine, it is an area of great beauty, and a lot has happened there since Alamanicus last walked this land.


  • No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment

Leave your comment

Guest Saturday, 26 May 2018

Trip Reports

Login With Facebook





Follow us on foursquare


Alamanicus To Go



Alamanicus posts some of his favourite images to 500px

Autumnal Glow in Müllheim, by Alamanicus on

Autumnal Glow in Müllheim by Alamanicus