Blog posts tagged in bürgeln
First mentioned as a fortified complex ("Burg") in 1125 and used as a chapel, Bürgeln was built by local land-owner Lord Werner von Kaltenbach, who subsequently donated all his possessions to the St. Blasien Benedictine monastery. Under monastic control, Bürgeln became the seat of the St. Blasien Provost, the religious representative and church tax collector for the local area, including the convent at Sitzenkirch and the nearby communities of Obereggenen and Marzell.
Schloss Bürgeln Gallery
During the peasant's revolt of 1525 the castle wa...