St Margaret's Chapel
Margarethenkapelle (St Margaret's Chapel)
The chapel is a branch of St. Martins Church, first mentioned in 1372 - perhaps the endowment of the owners of the Rosenburg - located in the lower Müllheim cemetry (which until 1837 served as the cemetry for the whole of Müllheim).
Having fallen into disrepair, the chapel was rebuilt in 1756 as a simple baroque building with epitaphs of the 18th and 19th centuries and a rooftop 'ridge turret' with a slim onion dome. The chapel bell dating from 1691 is today part of the old cemetary memorial, and the chapel clock dating to 1764 can be found in the museum.
Between 1850 and 1878 the chapel was used as a Catholic church, after which it was appropriated as a sports hall until 1970, when it became a Lutheran church.
Another plaque commemorates a dignitary from Baden, in the days when it was a Grand Duchy, with the words...
Michael Friedrich Wild
Grand Ducal Badener
Knight of the Order of the Zähringer Lions
Founder of the new Badener Weights and Measures
Born in Durlach, 8th February 1747
Died in Müllheim 30th April 1832
Next stop: turn off the main road and follow Hauptstraße down through lower Müllheim's evocative old town of old houses and farm buildings that pre-date Germany, to Hauptstraße 43.