Protestant Parish Church
Evangelische Stadtkirche (Protestant Parish Church)
The Protestant church is a new gothic style building constructed out of red sandstone and inaugurated in 1881, taking over from St Martin's church which had until then served as the Protestant parish church.
Typically for the 19th century, the church borrows from the middle ages architectural style, such as the pointed arches above the windows and main doorway and the ribbed vault in the nave and presbytery.
Galleries can be found above the entire length of the side aisles, and above the main entrance is the high organ loft. On the main doorway a relief shows Christ amidst the 'labouring and heavily laden'.
The south-facing choir window was donated by members of the famous Blankenhorn family of Müllheim. The organ, which has 47 registers, was built in 1966 and fully reconditioned in 1996. The four church bells date from 1949, earlier bells having been smelted down during the first and second world wars.
Next stop: carry on down the main road, following it as it bends left, then right, for 500m until reaching St Margaret's Chapel.