Old Town Hall

Posted by on in Müllheim Town Tour
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Hits: 3549
  • Subscribe to this entry
  • Print
  • Report this post

Altes Rathaus (Old Town Hall)

The old town hall was erected in 1867 on the site of an existing communal wine press. Until 1955 the new building was used as the municipal office in the "Old School", and then between 1980 and 2005 it was the tourist information office.

The building displays an historic architecture influenced by the rounded arch style of the Karlsruhe architect Hübsch (Heinrich Hübsch, born 1795, died 1863). It's design echoes late gothic and renaissance examples in Florence, with a rounded arch frieze (just below the roof-line) modelled after the Palazzo Vecchio there. In 1979, following the cancellation of an extension, the east facade was made the main entrance.

Next stop: cross the main road (Werderstraße) and walk a short hop down to the Lindenhof.

Blog posted from View larger map
Rate this blog entry:
Alamanicus is wandering his old Alemanni haunts, revisiting the places where once he used to drink, carouse, and beat up the odd Roman legionnaire or two. Things have moved on since his day, and the old Alemanni country now lies across south west Germany, French Alsace, and northern Switzerland. Cut through by the mighty Rhine, it is an area of great beauty, and a lot has happened there since Alamanicus last walked this land.


  • No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment

Leave your comment

Guest Saturday, 26 May 2018

Trip Reports

Login With Facebook





Follow us on foursquare


Alamanicus To Go



Alamanicus posts some of his favourite images to 500px

Autumnal Glow in Müllheim, by Alamanicus on

Autumnal Glow in Müllheim by Alamanicus