Müllheim is a small town in south west Germany, about half way between Freiburg and Basel in Switzerland. It sits at western edge of the Black Forest, where the mountains descend down to the Rhine plain, and the hills around the town have clear views across to the Vosges mountains in France.
It is traditionally the centre of Markgräflerland, an area ruled by Margraves, equivalent to the English March Lords - nobility who, because they commanded territories on the borders of a realm, were granted greater autonomy and more military freedom than otherwise allowed by the ruling elite. In this case, the Margraves of Baden controlled the south western corner of the Holy Roman Empire, with France to the west and Switzerland to the south west.
Although the area was already settled by the Celts and after them the Romans (the remains of a Roman Villa were discovered under St Martin's Church in the modern pedestrian centre), the town takes it's name from a mill (Mühle) that was established here in the 14th century by the Margraves. The original site of the mill can be found today at Frick's Mill museum.
In more recent times the town became the centre of local wine region, and Adolf Blankenhorn, who became the first president of the German Winegrowers Association in 1874, was a son of Müllheim.
Visitors wandering the pedestrian centre of Müllheim might notice plaques on the walls of some of the buildings with information in German and French, and Alamanicus has translated these into English for his web-based Müllheim Town Tour.