Old School and Former Slaughterhouse
"Alte Schol" ehem. Schlachthaus (Old School and Former Slaughterhouse)
First erected in 1824/5, this building was initially used as the municipal office, following the grant of a town charter to Müllheim by Karl Friedrich, Grand Duke of Baden, in 1810.
The lower floor (which featured a trapdoor that opened out above the river, the more easily to wash away the waste) served as a slaughterhouse until 1912 (the neighbouring "Zur Alte Gerberei" building was the old tannery).
In 1867, the upper floor of the old slaughterhouse was changed to educational uses, becoming first an agricultural school, then from 1875 until 1930 a vocational school. Between 1933 and 1945 the building served as the Hitler Youth centre before returning to school use in 1946 as part of the local primary school.
Since 1974 the building has been in use as a music school and meeting centre.
Next stop: follow the river for about 300m along the Gerbergasse path past the Volkshochschule to Fricks Mill.