Marktplatz (Market Place)
A market has operated here since 1698, when Margrave Frederick the Great (Frederick VII, Margrave of Baden-Durlach) granted Müllheim the right to hold one. The sizeable area that had existed in the 17th century was developed in the 18th century, and in 1726 was cobbled.
Until 1825 the Stadthaus housed the municipal offices and between 1789 and 1846 the Winzerhaus served as a school building. In September 1848 Gustav von Struve (a leader of the short-lived rebellion of 1848 - 1849) proclaimed the Republic of Baden from the balcony of the Stadthaus.
In 1979 the new fountain, designed by the Stuttgart sculptor Heinz Pistol, was dedicated. The marketplace once featured an iron fountain between the Stadthaus and Winzerhaus, but this was melted down during the second world war, and it's former location is now marked by the Müllheim coat of arms laid into the cobbles.
Next stop: Past the Stadthaus and through the car park in front of the Alte Münz bar to the Old School and Former Slaughterhouse